Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

1964 Dodge Motor Home aka Dodge Travco

From the beginning... how I ended up with this beauty.  On September 25th, 2012 the one hundred and nineteen year old house I knew as home fell victim to an electrical fire.  The fire claimed the life of one of my dogs and nearly all of my earthly belongings.  To my surprise the resources for fire victims are few and far between.  Being that I had no rental insurance nor a large amount of savings, this new beginning would surely be a struggle.  Obtaining a rental within my means was not going to be very easy, and to find one that would allow me to have my eleven year old Doberman would be almost impossible.  Now knowing my options were scarce, I thought to purchase a older camper where my four legged best friend and I could reside until something more appropriate surfaced.

Let the hunt begin!  Readily searching online for a camper I stumbled upon a 1964 Dodge, it was only a few hours distance from my location.  I saved the craigslist page in my favorites and refreshed the listing daily.  A few days after first seeing the post, I seen that the asking price was lowered nearly half of the original price.  At that moment I made the call and to my disappointment I was told that someone would be arriving from out of town to view her the following day.  I then made an agreement with the owner to call a couple hours after the prospecting buyer was supposed to arrive.  The next day rolled around and after speaking to the seller, it was to my delight that she was still available.  Sight unseen and despite she has a brake issue.. I immediately gathered his information and sent him a deposit.  Soon after I placed the deposit,  I began a new hunt for a transporter, due to the brake issue.  Although I had no idea what the brakes would be to repair, I felt positive that i had made the right decision with the purchase.  I opened a listing on uShip and was blessed to be provided with a decent bid for transport from a fella who lived in the area where she was located.  By the way, if you ever need a honest down to earth team for transporting, I highly recommend Nathan and his wife Wendy who own EASTERN CAROLINA LOGISTICS INC.  The two of them are simply the best, and if in the future I am in need of transport services, I would not hesitate a split second to give them my business.




In the days to come, I will be posting her arrival, step by step restoration and hopefully one day in the near future our travels.  I hope to provide you with a interesting story and along the way I am sure it will be interesting and educative experience for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment